[ale] M$ mail server grousing

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Thu Mar 14 10:34:34 EST 2002

UoP has pretty much been brainwashed by M$.  I took a few classes there.
They'll tell you it's impossible to connect to exchange with anything
else and to attempt to do so would be unholy.  There is a web interface
to outlook though.  Looks and acts like outlook but you can use it with
Linux/Netscape.  Most of the techs don't like to admit it, but it's
there and works well enough.  See if you can find it.  If not let me
know and I'll dig through my bookmarks and see what I can find.

Thus spake Geoffrey (esoteric at 3times25.net):

> I connect to an Exchange server for work, using Netscape.  But, I know
> that they had to configure it a certain way to permit this access,
> because the corporate folks have a small set of servers configured for
> this purpose (unix based users).
>
> James P. Kinney III wrote:
> >I have a teaching position (University of Phoenix Online) that uses M$
> >Exchange servers for email and newsgroups. I have found that what is
> >called ssl secure login on windows is not ssl on Linux. The logins are
> >denied if I turn off ssl, which is good. No unencrypted logins are good.
> >But when I use ssl, I get an unresponsive server error. I've tried
> >access the imap mail using evolution, Mozilla, and netscape with "secure
> >connection".
> >
> >Does accessing mail from an Exchange server _require_ a Microsoft
> >environment? Or is there a configuration problem on my end that I can
> >tweak to get it? Or is i a server config issue? I would really prefer to
> >stick to my Linux tools.

> I didn't have to buy my radio from a specific company to listen
> to FM, why doesn't that apply to the Internet (anymore...)?
>

> ---
>
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

:wq!
                                \_       that important!