[ale] Gigabyte MoBo RAID and RH-7.2

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Thu Mar 14 10:12:40 EST 2002

I just checked some Google sources to be sure, and they're all saying
that RAID 0 does give a performance improvement.  This makes a certain
amount of sense to me because you're reading and writing "across" drives
and as long as drive buses are faster than drives, you're going to be
better off.  I agree that with drives getting plenty fast, you probably
can't expect an eight-drive RAID 0 array to be a big improvement over,
oh, a four-drive array - but if you did it anyway, you'd have one
accident-prone mass-storage resource on your hands! :-)

Adaptec's info gives RAID 1 (mirroring) mad props on random writes.

When I worked for the Dept. of Energy, I had the use of a 6xPPro/200 ALR
server with a three-channel RAID controller that ran about $2000 (the
controller).  Man, I miss that thing.  After I left, no one could get it
to work, so they got rid of it.  Because you had more than one channel
(the card had three Intel i960 CPUs on it), you could split your mirrors
up onto not just separate drives but separate channels.  That helps you
guard against controller failures and speeds you up somewhat.

- Jeff