[ale] Anyone here use Zope?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Wed Mar 13 22:41:02 EST 2002

Christopher -

I have installed and run Zope on a 64MB P/200MMX.  I only just barely
messed around with it, using the supplied Web server (which is writen in
Python as well.)  I did drop some static content in just to play with,
and I did manage to install and run the Squishdot Zope product (a
work-alike of Slashcode).

I gathered just enough understanding to know that someone who
fundamentally understands Web technology, can handle Zope/RDBMS
connectivity, and can code Python can make Zope a large part of their
work and be able to whip out Web apps like a maniac.

The only other thing I have to add related to Zope is that I used
Rational SiteLoad to find out at how many simultaneous users would a
PIII/700 server running a content management system called OneWeb
Advantage plus IIS on NT get itself into the weeds.  I created a user
session that only navigated through static content on the site in order
to not exercise MS SQL Server running on the same machine.  To my
surprise, this server - a PIII/700, mind you - ran out of CPU at about
40 users.  RAM was not an issue.  I set up SiteLoad to do something
similar to my P/200 Zope box - just run around, hitting static content -
and it merely burbled at 40 users.

- Jeff