[ale] Python Web Stuff

Ken Kennedy kkennedy at kenzoid.com
Wed Mar 13 20:28:53 EST 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 01:22:15PM -0500, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:

> I've looked at Zope but find it a bit too invasive, especially its
> persistence model. Basically it carries some of the same downside as
> PHP does for me. I have seen some really good systems done in Zope,
> however, and I'm sure its a strong product but its not what I'm
> looking for.

Just an FYI...another Python-based web development framework that I've
seen (I have NOT yet played around with it, though I've been meaning
to) is called Twisted:

http://twistedmatrix.com/index.epy

>From the short description:

 Twisted is an event-based framework for internet applications. It
 includes a web server, a telnet server, a multiplayer RPG engine, a
 generic client and server for remote object access, and APIs for
 creating new protocols and services. Twisted supports integration of
 the Tk or GTK event loop with it's main event loop. It also support
 running servers on top of jython.

Twisted currently supports the following protocols, all implemented in
pure python, most of them as both servers and clients:

    * FTP
    * HTTP
    * SOCKS
    * SMTP
    * IRC
    * telnet
    * POP3
    * AOL's instant messaging TOC
    * OSCAR, used by AOL-IM as well as ICQ (client only)
    * DNS (client only)
    * LDAP (client only)
    * finger
    * Echo, discard, chargen and friends
    * Twisted Perspective Broker

Like I said, no actual experience with it, though. If you use Debian,
there's a package for twisted in unstable, so it's easy enough to
install and play with (though it certainly doesn't look hard
regardless). May not help, but I thought I'd mention it.

Later!

Ken Kennedy	| http://www.kenzoid.com	| kenzoid at io.com

 PGP signature