[ale] Re: [ale-admin] Re: [ale] Re: [ale-admin] new meetings at KSU

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Mar 13 19:06:37 EST 2002

hirsch at zapmedia.com wrote:
> Dow Hurst writes:
>  > I know people on campus are excited about the new meeting place here at
>  > KSU.  My two cents is name each new ALE location after the location.  So
>  > we have
>  >
>  > ALE-Emory
>  > ALE-KSU
>
> This makes it sound too much like ALE is for members of the location
> in question, and ALE is explicitly for Atlanta.  Emory had a LUG that
> faded away (LUGE), and I wouldn't want anyone to think that they
> needed an Emory association to come to the meeting.
>
> On the other hand, if there are going to be several locations, I agree
> that we do need a way to distiguish them, but I suggest more general
> geographic areas, like ALE Central, ALE Northwest, ALE Cobb.

There was a discussion around this on the admin list.  My point is, ALE
Northwest is not as useful as ALE-KSU, or maybe ALE @ KSU.  Point being,
by knowing the name, you know where they meet.

It's a valid concern regarding the issue of ownership.  I was trying to
make it short and sweet, but I guess we could use The Northwest Chapter
of the Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts which meets at Kennesaw State
University. :)

Seriously, at this point, it doesn't matter much to me, I'd suggest we
just come up with a name and stick to it.  Shall we call for a vote?

ALE Northwest
ALE KSU
ALE Cobb

??