[ale] Recommendations/Caveats re: acquiring DSL service

Steve Long stl2 at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 12 15:28:43 EST 2002

I have had good results from Earthlink.  I use a Linksys DSL router on it
and it is supported by Earthlink.

I did have a little trouble getting the router from Earthlink.  However, I
have also set up a few people with them and they have been very responsive
to service requests.

I had one customer that had a carrier signal but could not access the
Internet. After half an hour of troubleshooting, they finally found the
problem on Bellsouth's side and got a tech there quickly.  I have not been
able to get anybody from Bellsouth on the phone as quick as that yet.  I
would much rather like to have Earthlink deal with Bellsouth than me.  They
have more pull with them than I do by myself.

I have also set up a couple of users on Bellsouth and that has been a
nightmare each time.  They have not been very customer friendly and they
cost extra for a Ethernet router ($125.)  It also seems that the Bellsouth
DSL people do not communicate with the Bellsouth phone people  and there is
a power struggle to give you the worst service.  I have not seen this work
good yet.

I tried to get a cable modem last year from MediaOne. After a week of
waiting and calling (never less than 20 minutes on hold) I finally got them
to set a date.  They never came and sent me a bill for it.  I called the
office that was responsible for the install and they told me it had already
been installed!  After another no-show and another bill, I cancelled the
install and had them stop all action.  Then they sent me an urgent bill.  I
called them again (another 20 minute call on hold) and they told me the
account balance was zero and ignore the bill.  The next day I got a notice
from a credit agency they turned me over to and I called them.  Option # 8
was "If you got a bill for service not performed, press 8!  Evidently, this
happens so often that there is a menu option for it.   What a nightmare!