[ale] Linux Showcase Discussion

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Mar 12 14:42:39 EST 2002

As many of your know, the Atlanta Linux Showcase evolved into the Annual Linux
showcase with the additional help of USENIX. However, due to many factors, not
the least of which is an extremely depressed economy in the Technolog Sector,
last year's ALS in Oakland left much to be desired.  Due to other
economic tightening, we are currently changing our plans for the next ALS.
Basically, the previous show always primes the pump for the next show
financially. However, since last year's show was free, there was no profits
and therefore no monies for priming the pump. This makes it necessary to
change the way we do things.

What follows is a tentative design for ALS 2002. It is not set in stone. We
are looking for feedback from the local Atlanta linux community before we make
any firm decisions and get the ball rolling.  Please take the time to read
this carefull and respond. I believe that this is very relevant to the local
community so discussion on list isn't a bad thing either as long as we try to
keep it on topic and don't let it linger on for weeks on end :)

Vernard
Chairman, ALS Showcase Committee

-----------  A smaller ALS but still an ALS -----------

We would like to produce a show in Atlanta in October.  We need to find
out more about costs and size realities and we already know time is short
and we have no money - so with that in mind...

Length:
The show should be 2 days, recommend a Friday and Saturday.
Talks to be held Friday afternoon 1-5pm with a 1 hour break and Saturday
afternoon 1-5pm, with same 1 hour break.  A show will be held both Friday
from 1-7pm and Saturday from 10am-4pm.  See more detail below on these.

Focus:
We think this show should focus on both technical and business aspects of
Linux.  By adding a new job fair / recruiting component, we hope to bring
additional attendees and "exhibitors".

Venue:
We want to find an inexpensive venue for 1 talks room (normally seats 50
but up to 100 for keynote or panel discussions).  We also want a small
show floor (3000 sq ft?) for a very small, unimposing show.  We hope to
find a hungry Holiday Inn or similar place may be interested in working
with us.  More explanation of hotel services follows in the individual
sections below.

Keynote:
One keynote address - recommended we hold Saturday at 11am.

Talks:
We'd like to have one track, one room over the two days.  The proposed
talk duration is 20 minutes with a 10 minute Q&A allowed.  Talks should be
grouped in time according to related subjects.  Would like the last talk
on both Friday and Saturday night to be a panel-style discussion.  Propose
one panel be Miguel and RMS about .NET refereed by maddog (no one's been
contacted) and the other a Q&A for Linux developers in the audience. Hope
to find some kernel, GUI and application developers to sit on the panel.
We propose the talks (one) room will hold 50 folks but expandable to 100
for keynote or panel discussions.

Show:
Actually, four areas, perhaps in a single room:

Demo areas where we provide tables and power and not much else for tech
folks who may want to show their products or just sit and field questions.
Expect maybe 20 10x10 each with one table, 2 chairs and an outlet.  No
pipe and drape provided.  Local net connection only.  Cost would cover our
cost for the space.

Show area where sponsors could bring (gasp) marketing folks and set up
more "flashy" displays and giveaways if they'd like.  These would cost
more money ($3,000?  $5,000?).  They would be recognized as sponsors.  If
we can find 2 or 3, we'll be happy.  Power and local net connection.  Pipe
and drape and carpet available since they've paid the bucks...

Job fair/Recruiting area may be a separate room or not (pending cost) so
companies, prospective employees, and recruiters can gather.  Recruiters
and companies who wish to be present should pay nominal fee to cover cost.
The area would provide no power/network/drape - just a table and 2 chairs.

BOFs:
Friday evening and Saturday morning?  Would consider one room.  Would also
consider a few invited BOFs - perhaps as an extension to a talk/panel.

No tutorials unless USENIX wants/requires and would handle all costs.

No hothouses unless we're approached and they handle all costs.

--
Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu) Darkness has a hunger thats
insatiable