[ale] C on Linux

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Mon Mar 11 10:30:40 EST 2002

Master &;-) -

If you have the resources to set up X-Window, I found 'emacs' (not
'Xemacs') a much easier learning curve than command-line 'emacs', due to
[some] pull-down commands and full pull-down help invocation (Try the
"apropos" tool.) I admit this makes me a wimp.

I do use 'emacs' to compile and as a debugging shell for 'gdb'. The first
function will drop me in the source file for each compilation error (using
'ctags'). The second will walk through sources, even if they traverse
several languages: I've debugged mixes of 'C', FORTRAN, and 'Ada' from
source level, going up and down mixed-language call/return paths without a
hitch. As for editing, there is a useful sub-set of 'pull-down' menus,
but significantly more 'handwork' at the command line is required
(IMH[?]O).

Also, the command syntax of 'emacs' is a bit -err- 'quaint', but it's the
same as you work on 'C', 'C++', Ada, LaTex, SGML/HTML, and any other
languages with 'emacs' bindings. That's a _real_ "+" if you are working in
a number of media and a big reduction in "editor brain-bandwidth" load.

I know 'vi' is also integrated with 'ctags' for compilation, and possibly
for these other uses, but I'm not enough of a 'vi' user to comment on it.

--
 - John Mills