[ale] couple questions

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Mar 10 15:33:14 EST 2002

There are two products for the thermal stuff, a grease and a tape.
HLComputer on Highay 78 just inside Gwinett county has single use tubes
for $0.25. There is also a thermal tape.

Internal modems stink!  When they crap out a system reboot is the only
option to force a reset if the AT&F command fails.

You might have some luck compiling everything serial as a module.
(might. This worked with some flakey NICS a few years back). By
unloading the modules and loading them, it would force a hardware reset.

I guess for a windows user having to reboot the box to reset the modem
doesn't seem like such a bad thing. They are used to it. But for a Linux
user, that's another story!

A more difficult option would be to cut the trace on the power supply
pin on the modem card and solder on a pair of wire that go to an added
switch on the frame side of the card. Then you could power-cycle the
card manually.