[ale] OT, dead oscilloscope

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Fri Mar 8 20:29:37 EST 2002

Cor van Dijk wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My thirty year old oscilloscope died this week. Now I seem to remember
> that there were at some point
> in time specialized video cards that would let you turn your monitor
> into a scoop; probably not with a whole lot of bandwidth but I am using
> the scoop mostly for audio work.
>
> Anybody familiar with this? What cards or other device would let me do
> this?
> Sorry to be OT. Thanks in advance.
>
> Cor van Dijk

I remember doing something like this on the original IBM PC (woohoo CGA graphcs!).

It's not a special video card you need, but a special device (A/D converter) to input the analog signals.

Here is one:
http://www.ee.washington.edu/conselec/CE/sp95reports/guterman/final/scope1.htm
and another:
http://www.etcsk.com/products/m621/
and a whole bunch of them:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=oscilloscope+computer+PC+
and this one attaches to your parallel port:
http://www.linkinstruments.com/oscilloscope21.htm

If you want to find more, Google is your friend:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=oscilloscope+computer+PC+

Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith