[ale] Mounting point layout

Ken Nagorski kenn at pcintelligent.com
Fri Mar 8 08:49:21 EST 2002

Hmm - Depends what you are doing...

On a standard home machine I do this

/ - about 25% of drive
swap - around 128 megs
/home - the rest

At work

/ - about 15-20%
swap - 128megs
/var - about 30%
/home - the rest

Really, you may need the logs and you would probally wanna save /home if you
did a reinstall but mostly if the system is hosed. you would be reinstalling
the stuff /var /usr /boot and so on. Now... This could be different. For
isntance there may be a reason you wanna save /opt, or /boot but aside from
the few configs and some stuff I might have installed from source there
really isn't much that needs to be kept in the event of failure. Just keep
backups of configs and I you custom build something tar up the sources when
you are done and save them somewhere.

- Just my two cents - Ken!

 I am installing SuSE 7.3 for Saturdays install fest.  Do I allow it to