[ale] [OT] PSA on Internet radio

Paul D. Manno paul at dblegl.atl.ga.us
Thu Mar 7 21:26:54 EST 2002

Fellow ALE members,

I wanted to add a note to this list regarding the recent US Copyright
Office action on Internet radio (mp3) webcasting.  I am not affiliated
in any way with the parties involved - this is just trying to be a public
service announcement.  Why ALE?  It is, in part, because many of these
webcasters use Linux machines to prepare, produce and deliver the streams
to a variety of platforms.

If you've liked listening to any of the 1000s of Internet radio stations,
you may want to investigate the current ruling that will likely cause most
of the webcasters to cease operation within the next two months.

Rather than use ALE bandwidth for discussion, I'll recommend you take a
look at the info available on the web at several locations (see below) and
decide what you wish to or not to do.  If you're interested, please look
at any of the following URLs.

	http://208.3.135.80/		(saveinternetradio.org)
	http://www.save-the-music.org	(activist group)
	http://www.somafm.com		(webcaster)
	http://www.beethoven.com	(webcaster)
	http://www.radioparadise.com	(webcaster)

Thanks for listening.  It's your choice and I plan to say nothing more on
this list about it.  Flames to me, not the list.

-- Paul