[ale] Many ssl certs, one IP...Linux vs Win question

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Mar 6 18:08:30 EST 2002

>>>>> "jenn" == jenn  <jenn at colormaria.com> writes:

    jenn> Our new VP of Operations maintains that he is running many
    jenn> different SSL Certificates on IIS with a single IP.

    jenn> I maintain that apache and all the literature I've read
    jenn> states that the HTTPS protocol renders that impossible, and
    jenn> I can't make apache do name-based virtual hosting for https.

        Name-based virtual hosts, as far as HTTP is concerned, are
distinguished by looking at the Host header in the client's request.
As this header is received long after the SSL connection has been
negotiated and any certificates already have been exchanged, he's some
combination of confuzzled, prevaricating, or from an advanced alien
race that can send tachyon emissions into the past to alter the
connection setup to use the apropriate certificate (not too advanced
seeing as they use NT . . . :).

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=