[ale] Does Certification Matter

James S. Cochrane cochrane at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 4 20:56:58 EST 2002

It all depends on who is hiring and what their hiring procedures are.  Last
time I was out of work, getting my Solaris 8 certification certainly seemed
to open more doors, even though I was already walking around with close to
seven years of professional sysadmin experience and my AIX 4 certification
from IBM.  When considering potential hires, I'll look at certifications,
as part of the entire package, but if you list a certification (or a
particular type of experience), you CAN expect questions on the subject,
particular if it's a certification I'm familiar with.  I flushed one
candidate because he claimed Solaris certification, but couldn't tell me
what a disk slice was, for example.  I don't think a certification ALONE
will get you much, but a certification can be the icing on the cake or the
distinguishing factor when deciding who to interview or who to hire.

James