[ale] Does Certification Matter

SLane at weather.com SLane at weather.com
Mon Mar 4 15:50:57 EST 2002

can't speak to Java but I have OCP and recruiter (~2 yrs ago) told me that it
got me to the top of the pile.

does it mean I'm a better DBA for having it?  not really (?s have little to do
w/what I do day 2 day).

are there better DBAs out there w/o OCP?  almost certainly (although they seem
to be happy w/me here ;)

this is one of those religious ?s (like which dist is best?) which will go on
for days when the bottom line is two fold:

1)  it depends on who's hiring - some (like mine) value certs, some could care
less

2)  all else equal (which never happens in the real world) tie goes to cert
(restated:  no one ever LOST a job for being cert)

just my 2c/never 2Bho...

gentlemen, start your flamethrowers!  ;-P

Sid Lane
DBA - Site Operations
weather.com

                    "Tommie M.
                    Jones"               To:     <ale at ale.org>
                    <tj at atlantage        cc:
                    ek.com>              Subject:     [ale] Does Certification Matter

                    03/04/2002
                    03:33 PM

I know we've covered this question before.  Mostly along the lines of
'Certification does not predict a person's performance'

However here is my situation.  I have a year's worth of Java Work
experience and am not having any luck gettin a job in Java.  Will Java at
the very least get me into the door.

sent to listmaster at ale dot org.