[ale] CVS 'modules' 'style' and 'HOWTO' question

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Mon Mar 4 11:17:02 EST 2002

ALErs -

After a deafeningly silent response on comp.software.config-mgmnt, I have
a question for CVS users here.

Multiple functions in my source tree contribute to one shared
'include/interface' directory in addition to having their own
'include/MODULE/*.h' entries.

I want to define CVS 'modules' for my source tree so a user can check out
source and header files associated with one function with only the needed
files from the 'include/interface' directory, as well as its own full set
of 'include/MODULE/*.h' and 'MODULE/*.[c|cpp]' files (and 'Makefile',
...).

>>TERMINOLOGY NOTE: By "check out" I mean here "get a working copy", not
"lock files for editing". Locks would be applied on a per-file basis.<<

I do not get to reorganize the source tree, nor do I want to.

Can I define a CVS 'module' which includes only some of the files from one
directory (my 'include/interface/')?  how? Reading CVS docs suggests I
can do it, but I have not been successful at this.

More broadly, does it make sense to split the checkout of a directory of
shared definitions like my 'include/interface' in the example, or does it
seem better to always treat 'include/interface' as a unit?

SOURCE TREE:

 product/
   src/
       mod01/
          mod01A.cpp
          mod01B.cpp
       mod02/
          mod02A.cpp
          mod02B.cpp
       include/
          interface/
            mod01If.h
            mod02If.h
          mod01/
            mod01A.h
            mod01B.h
          mod02/
            mod02A.h
            mod02B.h

Thanks for general or specific comments.

 - John Mills