[ale] Port printing and saving the output as a file

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Sat Mar 2 14:25:05 EST 2002

beach wrote:

>I have a proprietary hospital mainframe system that will only allow me to
>assign IP based printers (IP address and port).   I would like to be able to
>configure my Mandrake 8.1 server to accept print jobs from this mainframe but
>not to output to a printer, instead I would like the print job to be saved as
>a file so I can manipulate them.   Can LPD or CUPS be configured to accept
>print jobs on a port?   Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Beach
>
>---
>This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list.
>sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

If the mainframe is actually sending out LPR jobs, then, Linux lpd
already does accept print jobs and ought to be able to take them.  Then,
it becomes a matter of having the lpr (CUPS, LPRng, etc.) system on the
"catching" end dump PS to a file instead of a print device.  Sounds like
a cool project!

- Jeff