[ale] Linux on Laptops

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Jun 30 08:50:41 EDT 2002

John LaPierre wrote:

> I will be giving this laptop to my daughter when she leaves for college this
> August, so if anyone can recommend of a Linux friendly laptop that I can
> replace it with, I'd be grateful. Thanks...

Although I've bitched about Dell lately, I will say that I have a Dell
Latitude (work provided) that runs Linux very well.  I've not really
tried everthing out on this thing though, such as the usb and video in
capabilities.  Sound works, It came with a Xircom RealPort2 CardBus
Ethernet 10/100 and a REalPort2 Modem 56 GlobalACCESS pcmcia cards  Both
work, although I've used the modem only once.  I've got a port
replicator which has video, mouse, keyboard out all work.  The port
replicator has an etheret port as well, it works.  Currently this
machine is dual homed, the pcmcia is connected to my home network, the
port replicator is connected to my vpn device for work.

The biggest complaint I have is that it comes with swappable cdrom/ls120
drives, that can not be used at the same time, hence you can boot from a
floppy to install from cdrom.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net