[ale] Linux on Laptops

John LaPierre jjlapierre at knology.net
Fri Jun 28 23:54:09 EDT 2002

Geoffrey's Omnibook post prompted me to post this message -

Last December I bought a Toshiba Satellite 5005-S504 notebook. And for the
stock XP Home Edition it worked OK. But of course I had to put a real OS on
it. Well, I did not do my homework. A simple Google moment would have steered
me away from the Toshiba Satellite 5000 series altogether. They are 'legacy
free', read "no bios access". The only bios access is through an applet that
will only run in Windows XP. How convenient for M$. So just to install linux,
I have to download several patches, compile my kernel a certain way, and then
I get almost full functionality.

To make a long story short, if you are looking for a Linux friendly laptop,
look beyond the Toshiba 5000 - 6000 series. There is also a class action suit
being brought against Toshiba for a flaw in the design of this series that
causes overheating and shutdown every few minutes. I thankfully have not had
that problem, but many hundreds have and they're organizing now.

I will be giving this laptop to my daughter when she leaves for college this
August, so if anyone can recommend of a Linux friendly laptop that I can
replace it with, I'd be grateful. Thanks...

jj

--
Cost of having peace of mind from virus and crash worries? $0.00
Cost of using software better than Microsoft's for free? PRICELESS