[ale] RH7.2 -> GCC 3.1

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 28 16:58:49 EDT 2002

Mike Panetta wrote:

> I believe that you will need to compile the C library as well.  I am not
> 100% sure the binary formats of GCC 2.9x and 3.x are compatible.

C binary linkage is the same, but the C++ linkage convention
changed. You need to make sure you build and install libstdc++
when you install the new GCC (you must pretty much always do
that). Of course, you need to keep the old libstdc++ around
for any code that's dynamically liked to it and built by
the old compiler.

Chris, I don't think you should be building kernels with GCC 3,
in case you were tempted to try that :-)

-- Joe

--
   "Thanks to Microsoft, I am now blind in both eyes. They have
    rolled back in my head so many times this week that they