[ale] OT: Sun Treasoning

Robert Heaven robertheaven at attbi.com
Fri Jun 28 10:03:57 EDT 2002

Fulton is correct... This recession is no different than the one we
(older guys) experienced in the mid 1980's. During the late 70's and
early 80's, I was a software developer doing real-time software in
assembly language. (pre-C days) And, I was the hottest thing on the
market and could name my own price. (and I did several times)

That was before the economic downturn, and the IBM dumping of the PC's.
I got caught in those layoffs and spent 5 months unemployed in 1986 and
another 7 months unemployed in 1987. (two different periods) I
eventually wound up having to take a job in Technical Sales Support just
to pay the bills. Needless to say, I never did get to go back into
software development, (too many changes in programming languages, etc.)
but I have made it back into unix sysadmin and application support and
spend allot of time writing perl scripts. (and loving it) The moral of
the story is, your life will change from time to time. Just go with the
flow and try to stay alive.

To understand these economic cycles, you have to understand taxes. huh?

Yes, taxes... Every market segment (across all industries) has cycles
and these cycles are (primarily) based on the 7 year tax write-off.
(actually this varies from 5 to 10 years depending on the equipment)
When a company buys a piece of equipment, they will write that cost off
their taxes over the average 7 year period. When you're working for an
equipment vendor (which is where most software developers work) and
you're selling in a saturated market (i.e., no new customers), once
you've sold to a particular customer, they will not replace that
equipment until they have completely written that off thier taxes.

During the period of 1995 to 2000, almost every company in the world
grossly over-spent on computer equipment and software in anticipation of
Y2K. Consequently, in 2000 they all stopped spending and the lay-offs began.

So, if you can survive (physically) and keep up your skill sets for
another 2-3 years, you should start seeing an upturn in the IT industry.
Remember, the IT industry is NOT going away (like the steel industry)
because 99% of all industries and businesses are now critically
dependant on computers to conduct their day-to-day business. The job
descriptions will change from time to time but, the needs of the
customer will always be there.

-Robert