[ale] [Topic Chng] webcams/videocams

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Jun 27 13:39:24 EDT 2002

I haven't looked at the cpu hit, but I have a Kensington usb webcam. The
price is nice, but there is zero dynamic range for useable light
intensity. Pointed out the window, it is either too light or too dark to
see an image except for two 5-10 minute periods of the day.

Since you seem to have more experience with the hardware; do you have a
clue you care to share about web cams, especially equipment which will
tolerate wide intensity ranges while still producing a useable picture?

Thanks.

(And I'll need to hook up that web cam of mine and see how big a cpu hit
is puts on my system.)

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Geoffrey wrote:

> So I expected, so I guess I need move one of my webcams to my laptop?
> I've got a functional usb quickcam express, but this driver must be
> pretty green, cause it's a huge hit on the cpu.  On the other hand, I've
> got a couple of s-video cams and capture cards that are like watching tv
> with no hit on the cpu.  Hmmmm, I'm going to have to look into this I
> guess. :)
>
> Dow Hurst wrote:
> > We have the bandwidth for it here, that is for sure!  ;-)
> > Dow
> >

> > Geoffrey wrote:
> >
> >> You know, it would be fun to consider some streaming stuff for the
> >> meetings, now wouldn't it?
> >>
> >> Keith, seems you've moved closer?  Unfortunately, I don't know my
> >> geography well enough to know if you'd travel east or west to get
> >> here, I'm assuming west, therefore you have moved closer right?  That
> >> being said, the Emory meetings would probably be closer to you, but
> >> for some reason, I don't think that matters much... :(

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca
Thompson Freeman          tfreeman at intel.digichem.net