[ale] Palladium/MS: ideas for retaliation - OT now --RANT--

Jeff Rose jojerose at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 26 22:20:31 EDT 2002

I don't think a band of uber-geeks will be able to topple the status quo
in public schools.  Think how hard it is to get them the things they
really need.  Almost impossible.  Where you need to start is by changing
students' attitudes.  Teachers don't care about Linux but students will
be eager to try it.  Especially the wee-geeks.  I say, don't try to
replace what they already have but give them a choice.  The schools
aren't going to pay for it so donations are about the only option.  Dig
up those old PC's and donate them to the school YOUR child goes to.
Convince the computer teachers that giving the kiddies Linux as a
project to install and configure will be worthwhile.  Oh yeah, be sure
to mention the similarities to Unix, the importance of Unix and Linux in
enterprise and it wouldn't hurt to throw in a few articles about all the
companies switching to Linux, i.e. ILM, Disney, Merrill Lynch,
DreamWorks etc.  Just for kicks take in a copy of the AJC want adds and
show them how much a good Unix admin can earn.  Convincing teachers that
their students will benefit from and enjoy Linux will be far more
powerful than forcing teachers to replace everything they have, and
learn and teach something new.  Slow adoption is what it's all about.
You can't beat the MS machine that quickly.  The key is getting people
to want to use Linux.  Then will come the developers and then the
playing field will be much more conducive to replacing the whole
infrastructure.
	Maybe ALE or someone could sponsor a Linux donation program to a needy
school.  Couple that with Sun's institutional program and you have
yourself the seeds of change.

--
Jeff Rose
1914 Neely Ave