[ale] Please take the time to read - regarding Palladium

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Jun 26 14:23:11 EDT 2002

On 26 Jun 2002, Mike Panetta wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 07:39, Charles Shapiro wrote:
> > Heh. A friend of mine sent me the link to this story bright & early this
> > am, and I was just about to post it to this list before you beat me to
> > it.
> >
> > This is of course Very Scary Stuff. It hinges on consumer acceptance of
> > Microsoft's and Intel's DRM machinery and software though.  Judging from
> > the brouhaha over Intel's last attempt to put unique IDs on its CPU
> > chips back in 1999 ( a quick link is at
> > http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19990125S0019 ), this is by no
> > means a sure thing.
>
> Yes, but post sept 11 people seem to have become weaker in what they
> will accept in terms of privacy incursions.  Now  I bet something like
> this could be put in with little to no resistance from the general
> public, because it will help "fight terrorism" or some such nonsense.

The ongoing scare efforts since 9/11 are starting to deaden people, so we
should soon, if not already, start getting back to normal
bickering. 'Course the general population isn't going to realize that
_they_ personally will need to oppose all incipient terrorist attacks with
their own personal private bodies, and not wait for somebody else to do it
for them.

> Mike
>

> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.