[ale] ssh remote root exploit :-(

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Tue Jun 25 13:48:37 EDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 01:35:09PM -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> I had "issues" with the binary rpm's below. I had upgraded a few days
> before the exploit warning appeared. The ssh-server rpm installed OK,
> but would not accept connections. It may be due to not installing the
> new sshd.config as I already had a modified one.

Hmm.  I can't comment on the binaries other than to say that I tested
'em -- Every machine I have is now running one of those binary sets.

It is worth mentioning that as it stands, 2.2 kernels will not work with
openssh 3.3 unless you disable compression.

> As I learn more and more, I am moving more towards building all my own
> rpms for installation. It's a great excuse to keep adding hard drives :)

Of course!  That's one of the reasons why a good packaging system i
essential to the maintainability of a machine.  There's almost nothing I
install that isn't part of a package.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                           ICQ# 1318344

 PGP signature