[ale] Q: Creeping up on pptp/ppp to join M$ VPN

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Mon Jun 24 17:33:35 EDT 2002

ALErs -

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, John Mills wrote:

> Short version:
> I am still flailing with my VPN link. It appears that I get through the
> initial connection under the 'pptp-commands' script (which exits cleanly),
> then have the connection thrown away by 'pppd'.
>
> The VPN server logs two transactions, presumably my entry and subsequent
> exit, but no warnings nor errors.

On closer examination, the source which unpacks out of the
'ppp-mppe-2.4.0' RPM claims to have built pppd.o and mppe.o for a 2.2.18
kernel, and I have 2.2.17. The module build (following RPM
installation) seemed clean - it didn't complain, but I didn't go back and
rebuild my kernel, either.

1) If I have a serious mismatch here, how would I find out?

2) Do I have to add kernel configuration items to run pptp/pppd/mppe
   together, and rebuild?

Thanks for your patience, and for any help.

(I know, I know: go to a newer kernel. I may have to do so.)

 - John Mills