[ale] Network Usage tracking.

Jim Popovitch jimpop at rocketship.com
Mon Jun 24 09:34:11 EDT 2002

Hi Chris,

ntop is your friend.  It will show you usage by protocol and interface, and
the interface is all webbased on port 3000 by default.  My experience is
that it's pretty low on resource utilization too.

Finally, my experiences with running a user based website and mailinglist is
that it saves $$ when using iptables/chains to change the type of service
for smtp (avoids utilization peaks) as well as using mod_throttle w/ Apache
to limit bandwidth consumed by web-spiders and archivers.

-Jim P.