[ale] mosix clusters?

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 23 23:12:42 EDT 2002

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> To revisit a bit, you'd need to know if, on a given 1-CPU machine, two
> SAH WUs run at once is faster than, slower than, or as fast as two WUs
> run end-to-end in the typical fashion.  If it's slower, then there is
> absolutely nothing to be gained by running more SAH WUs at once than you
> have CPUs.  My experience suggests that it would be slower, implying
> that one instance per CPU is OPTIMAL; I say this because on a 2-CPU
> machine, both CPUs get saturated, which tells me that memory I/O is not
> an issue.  One instance per CPU is no different than what I do on every
> machine I can get my hands on, Mosix-less.

Surely it is impossible for two WUs to run simultaneously on
a single-CPU box in less time than they would run serially,
since in the simultaneous case both WUs would presumably
always be runnable, and thus you'd have context-switch
overhead that wouldn't be present if single WU were the
only runnable process on the box.

Cheers,

-- Joe
   "It was me drove off the offramp / of the sweetheart
    highway..."
    -- Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros, "Bummed-Out City"