[ale] File Comments

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sun Jun 23 22:26:23 EDT 2002

This may be an _entirely_ off the wall question, but...

One of the many nice little features of the Amiga systems I use is the
FILE COMMENT field in the file system: In addition to the (case retaining
but case insensitive) 30 character file Name window, the Date spec, the
Protection bits, etc., every File ID includes a Comment field of about 80
characters. Over the years I have found this a very handy place for
including a bit of extended and immediately accessable detail about a
file or program. (e.g. Wephexed.lha = "Wobble's Extremely Practical Hex
Editor; ftp.bowlweebles.com")

If recollection serves (since I so rarely have to suffer M$ products),
there is a similar File Comment field under MeSsyDOS and its decendants.
However, I'm also remembering that, ever since Winblows '95, the File
Comment space has been usurped as a hack work around for M$DOS's crippled
8.3 file name limits.

I suppose Mac's "Resource Fork" could be considered loosely similar to
the file comments as well, but that filing scheme introduces its own set
of nasty complications. ;-)

Anyway, when working with Unix / Linux I occasionally miss the File
Comment feature (and always miss the Amiga DOS case handling).
Working with file names longer than about 20 characters becomes
inconvenient given the ways that these handles are employed, so the
unlimited Name length of *nix files falls short as a substitute.

I guess I'm just trying to be certain I haven't been seriously
overlooking something for the past decade... so is anyone aware of a File
Comment / File Descriptor facility in any of the *nix file systems or is
there a known method for effectively emulating that feature?

Ever the curious one...
aaron