[ale] Enclosed Desks

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Sat Jun 22 12:30:03 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-06-22 at 12:17, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Consensus states to take off the door.  No problem.  I prefer to take it
> off then leave it open anyway.

Chris, even at that you might want to be careful about that
hot-air-ingestion issue.

I think all IT people should have a good thermometer; I use mine pretty
often (thermocouple module + Fluke DVM in my case).  I'd measure the
intake/exhaust air temps with the computer standing on a table in the
middle of a room for reference purposes and then measure again with the
box in the cabinet (load it up with a kernel compile or something - hey,
I know, I'll give you my SETI at Home ID :-) ).  If the exhaust temp is
higher even though room air temp is the same, then you are probably
having a reingestion problem.

- Jeff