[ale] Bash shell text ALE-NW

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Fri Jun 21 04:53:04 EDT 2002

If anyone wants to come by and pick up a copy of the Bash Shell packet
that David put together, please let me know you are coming and I will
print it for you.  I did not print the latest version by mistake for the
meeting so some material was missing from the handout.  Of course, just
check www.ale.org for the latest version over the web.  I'd like to make
the printed copy available since I feel pretty stupid for printing the
wrong file!  Anyway, there is a lot of great material for learning the
bash shell here so check the website or drop me a line saying your
coming for your copy.  I could bring some to the next meeting for those
interested.

I thought we had a fun meeting once we got over the real diversity of
backgrounds concerning the bash shell.  David did a good job trying to
help out those who didn't have a clue along with lots of help from the
crowd.  We had quite a crowd, at least 35-45 people.

Hopefully in the future we can reapproach this topic in an advanced talk
as David hardly got to start on the real meat of what he had prepared.
 The LUG at KSU will be holding meetings starting this Fall semester for
students with topics specifically focused for newbies.

Here is the answer to the shell history problem:

 >!579:2:s/ux//

Which if the 579th command was:
 >ps auxw | grep dhurst | awk '{print($2)}'  |  xargs kill -HUP

then what you would get would be:

 >ps aw | grep dhurst | awk '{print($2)}'  |  xargs kill -HUP

Am I right?  This is straight out of the bash man page.  The !579
selects that command out of the history list.  The : separates the parts
of the command.  The 2 is the second "word" in the command, which I
believe is space delimited.  The "s/ux//" substitutes the "ux" of "auxw"
with nothing.
Dow