[ale] Access e-mail remotely & from multiple machines

Randy Janinda rjaninda at tqlabs.com
Mon Jun 17 21:59:42 EDT 2002

I was holding off on this but will chime in now.

I have Qmail plus the relay-ctrl patch doing the serving. Courier-IMAP
for remote access (mainly cause I like the folders idea) and Procmail
filtering. This only does mail for me and my wife.

Continuing, I do SSH port forwarding on my laptop to ports 143 and 25 of
the remote server. I then have Evolution setup to check localhost 143
(and send on 25 respectively).

This allows me to be on any network (with Internet access) and securely
send and receive mail without having to continually change relays and
whatnot.

So, the short answer, Courier works great for me.

Randy Janinda