[ale] OT: Wireless access points?

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 17 19:52:25 EDT 2002

Somewhat off-topic, but maybe amusing: last week I set
my wife up with a Linux laptop, and while doing so
I discovered that when I booted the machine in our
bedroom it wouldn't talk on the network, though everything
was fine if I booted it next to the access point and
then *carried* it into the bedroom. The access
point was literally only about ten feet away from the bed,
but on the other side of the wall and down a story.
Still should be easily in range.

Eventually I figured out that in the bedroom, the
WaveLAN card was acquiring its DHCP address
from somebody else's server - I could actually
surf the Internet, and telnet to this mysterious
server, too! (Though I could not log in, since they
had apparently chosen some fiendishly clever
password that I was incapable of guessing in three
tries.)

The solution, in case anyone else has this sort of
issue, was to set the SSID (kind of like a network
name, I guess) for the access point and the PC card
to the same known, non-default value; that forces
the PC card to only accept service via the access
point with the matching SSID. On the Linux
side that was done via module options to the
wvlan_cs module, and on the access point it was
done via the AP config utility.

-- Joe

--
   "Thanks to Microsoft, I am now blind in both eyes. They have
    rolled back in my head so many times this week that they