[ale] Permissions Q

Mike Millson mgm at atsga.com
Wed Jun 12 18:16:34 EDT 2002

I need some help understanding how to manage user accounts effectively. I
know there are a lot of ways you could do this, but I'm trying to learn some
philosophy and best practices.

Ex. 1
I have a CVS repository that is currently owned by root and its group is
root. What is the best way to allow users access? Should I leave the Owner
and Group as root and allow Others read and write access? Should I create a
new group that is specifically for CVS, give it read and write privileges
and add each user to it?

Ex. 2
I am running Tomcat under user tomcat4. I develop and build my java classes
under user mmillson. In order to deploy my classes, I have to copy them into
a directory owned by tomcat4. Is it better to add the permissions to Others
or add mmillson to the tomcat4 group?

Thank you,
Mike