[ale] and now for the attachment!

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 16 15:10:28 EDT 2002

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 10:00:43AM -0400 Geoffrey The Esoteric <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
> How about a quick tutorial on how to view this puppy via *tex* tools?? :)

I think I feel another presentation coming on...   :-)  Hehehehe.

Actually, if you have the LaTeX package installed, it's just a matter of
going

you at host here] $ latex shell_presentation.tex
   Process should end normally with lots of STDOUT and a dvi file.
   It could drop you to a LaTeX editing command shell...hopefully not!
you at host here] $ xdvi shell_presentation.dvi&
   Displays a pretty dvi viewer...
you at host here]

(Note: you can page through the viewer by hitting the pg-up pg-dn keys,
or by p (previous) and n (next) pages.)

Now, if there are any errors that LaTeX halts over, like a missing font
or style on your machine, let me know.  So far, I've only used resources
that come in the "standard" LaTeX distro.  Usually, typing latex
something.tex just chugs through compiling stuff until you have a
something.dvi file.  The dvi file is what you can either create
postscript from, as in

you at host here] $ dvips -o something.ps something.dvi

or you can send it directly to the printer...

you at host here] $ dvips something.dvi

and that should send it to the default printer.  Most installations of
dvips seem to send the ps file to the printer by default or to a file if
you use the -o switch.

you at host] $ xdvi filename.dvi&

which will launch a dvi viewer in the background.  By launching this in
the background, I can use the same shell to recompile the TeX document
with LaTex after updating the TeX file with an editor, and the xdvi
program magically recognizes that the dvi file has been updated, so it
updates the display of the document.  Not quite as easy as using a word
processor, but it's close.

PS.  We're having our wood floors redone at the house, so we're living
out of a motel until Wednesday, so it sometimes goes a while between my
readings of email.  Sorry about the delay!  :-)

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net