[ale] Fwd: Re: [ale] Recommendations on mirrored LVM..?

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Sun Jun 16 00:08:36 EDT 2002

On Saturday 15 June 2002 01:26 pm, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> In your example setup you asked if you can add a second LV to an
> existing raid configuration. No. That would be a new raid configuration.

Well, what I really meant was to start off with no raiding and then add in a
mirror later.  I think you've already answered that question though.

> Now for the $40,000 question. Can all this be done on a live production
> system with data being written to and read from mirrored drives?

Or even unmirrored drives (er.. you mean, LV's)...?  Again, isn't that the
point?  Anything can be done one way or another offline, but having the
ability online is what LVM is all about.  Sure, the question is whether the
Linux implementation is really mature enough to do it without failure.

> Extending a logical volume is probably OK live.  Shrinking
> is probably not.

Shrinking, eh?  Even AIX doesn't do this.  Are they planning such support for
the Linux version?

-E.