[ale] firewall questions

Stephen Turner artic_knight at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 19:58:15 EST 2002

ok i am looking to run some mad scientist experiments
with a linux firewall/router/gateway i plan to run it
on either a customized 486/pentium or a laptop pentium
i need a few features in software,
1. i need it to mimic another mac,
2. im comeing from a adelphia cable modem to this
computer to a 5 port hub or 4 port router.
im hopeing for a easy out of the box solution so i can
examin the scripts and learn from an example :) but if
needed i can learn first and configure myself, that
works to :)  what i initially want to do is get some
small shoe box sized plastic box and get the smallest
mother board i can (with pci slots) and hopefully be a
pentium 1 or 486 :) looking for a dirt cheep solution
and small, small is the aim, this is just an
experiment but if all goes well it would also be a
proposal to my IT department :) those nuts are using
win2000 as a firewall! you just know there are
billions of hackers snooping in our system! they
rejected my linux solutions and now im out to prove
those nuts wrong! if you help me we may can convert
yet another company!  thanks :) suggestions, previous
experiences, stories, anything welcome! just no
flaming plz