[ale] DHCP vs. Static Who would win?

marct marct at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 31 18:01:07 EST 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Denny Chambers wrote:
> Scenario:
>
> 	I have a linux server with 2 ethernet card in them. eth0 is on subnet A
> and eth1 is on subnet B. eth0 has a static IP Address, where eth1 uses
> dhcp. Routing is not turned on. My default gateway and dns is reachable
> through Subnet A, so I set them manually. My question is if Subnet B's
> dhcp is also broadcasting a default gateway and dns information, will it
> override what I typed in manually. What happens when both cards are set
> for dhcp? Anyone know?

Most of the DHCP clients I have used can be controled by config files and
bound to a specific interface.  You can set directives in the config to
prevent the client from overwriting routes or your resolv.conf.  So when
the machine boots your rc.local could be
  dhcpcd -i eth0 -f /etc/dhcpcd-eth0.conf
  dhcpcd -i eth1 -f /etc/dhcpcd-eth1.conf

Just edit the files for the behavoir you want.  It depends on which distro
your running which dhcpcd you have, or under RH the client is called PUMP.

--marct
marct at mindspring.com