[ale] Anyone using AMANDA?

gene gene at mmc-inc.com
Wed Jan 30 12:14:34 EST 2002

I need to setup a backup solution for a client that is running Solaris,
Linux (RH), and some Windows.

For the backups, they only have (currently at least) one DDS-4 tape
drive hooked up to a Solaris box that I plan to use as the "backup"
server.

I have been doing some backups manually, for he most important stuff by
nfs mounting over to the backup server and then tar'ing to tape.  I have
just recently started looking at amanda and was wondering if anyone has
anything good (or bad) to say about it.

Most of my backup experience involves much larger (and costlier) setups
like Legato Networker and some type of tape silo.  This client isn't
going to spring for that so I am looking for a good, low budget
approach.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Gene