[ale] Rekall

Tommie M. Jones tj at atlantageek.com
Wed Jan 30 10:05:10 EST 2002

Well database admin is part of it.  On the screen shots it also allows you
to design froms and enter python code.  Good stuff really.

If I want to create a Data entry application I can either Delve into TK
with python/perl/or others.  Or I can create a web application with either
PHP or perl.

What Microsoft Access provides is something to create a quick & clean
entry application.  Drop in a data entry object.  If it is a select box I
associate it with a SQLish query.  No writing perl code and filling an
array or python code and printing HTML.  I do it at configuration.  I also
associate each entry field with a variable and a validation function.
When you hit the OK button it runs another function.  True event based
programming.  You loose a certain amount of visibility with this of
course.  You never have access to the 'main' function or event loop.  But
everythings a tradeoff.  Most custom business applications are
replacements for paperwork.  Applications like this let you get past the
form creation and data entry fast.

Now what would be really neat is if this supports client/server
applications.  Once you define an application and have it running on the
server, anyone on the office whether a mac, PC or Unix box can have access
to the application.  This could be through the web or a thin generic
client executable.  Too bad the theKompany application is not open source.

Get inside Atlanta's Tech Scene - http://www.atlantageek.com
'Business Intelligence' is not an Oxymoron - http://www.intelliforge.com