[ale] Ale Inc.? (was RE: [ale] surviving sans work

Michael E. Barker mbarker68 at home.com
Tue Jan 29 13:31:03 EST 2002

John Wells wrote:

> I've been thinking about this a long time (it's the
> MBA in me), but there's an awful lot of talent on this
> list.  After this morning's threads, it also seems as
> if there might be quite a few unemployeed talents as
> well.

Yes I was surprised to find that so many with such talents are
unemployed.

> So, far-fetched as it might be:
>
> With a little brain power, a little organization, and
> a lot of work, I'm positive that a good, money-making
> idea could arise from this group.  On the one hand,
> the odds are stacked against you quite a bit when
> creating your own business.  On the other hand, I know
> of many companies who consistently bring in $$ with a
> much smaller (and less qualified) talent pool.

I agree and have been kicking around similar ideas.  I have
quite a few myself.  It would take work but if the non-profit
events from the past can be pulled off, I'm sure a business
could be pulled of and made successful.

> I think it would be worthwhile to start holding some
> informal off-list business endeavor brainstorming
> sessions.  It can't hurt, and I'd be surprised if
> something doesn't pop up that might be worthwhile
> pursuing.

Great idea.  Maybe we should see if such a thread would thrive
on the new unemployed at ale.org list.  If so make a list for it
and coordinate face-to-face meetings.

> Just an idea, and maybe a naive one at that.  But
> sometimes naivety in business can be a blessing,
> especially when you accomplish something "those in the
> know" considered impossible because you naively
> assumed it was.
>
> It'd be informative to develop a group profile of
> those interested in pursuing a common
> effort...partitioned by experience (i.e., those with
> backgrounds in business, those hardcode techies,
> newbies, etc.).  Then you could have a real idea of
> where you could carve your niche.

This is another great idea and could start on the new
list and evolve as explained above.

> Apologies for sounding like a motivational speaker,
> but I have entertained the idea of starting a company
> (don't we all?) for quite sometime.  Every business
> started somewhere...why not start one here?

Don't apologize.  Its a ray of hope or at least possibility.

--
-Michael