[ale] DirecTV DSL - No Reverse DNS

Paul D. Manno paul at dblegl.atl.ga.us
Mon Jan 28 13:38:56 EST 2002

John and ALErs,

Jerry is correct about RARP - it's not related to DNS issues.  You are
also correct in believing you can still run servers with no reverse-DNS
on your connection.  Your connection as a no-reverse-DNS client is indeed
trouble for many sites that verify.  That said...

Depending upon what you're really serving, some server applications may
require the ability to do a reverse lookup on their own IP before they
serve.  One can argue if that's reasonable but such falls outside this
discussion.  In addition, some clients may be picky about the server they
communicate with and require a valid IP -> DNS name lookup to verify the
server's credentials.

So... YMMV.

-- Paul