[ale] Printing from RH7.1 to printer connected to SMC Barricade

gene gene at mmc-inc.com
Sat Jan 26 19:36:57 EST 2002

Thanks, between your info and what I finally came across on the SMC
site, i cames up with the following printcap entry that seems to work:

HPG85:\
	:sh:\
	:ml=0:\
	:mx=0:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/HPG85:\
	:rm=192.168.123.100:\
	:rp=lp:\
	:lpd_bounce=true:\
	:if=/usr/share/printconf/mf_wrapper:

gene

On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 10:48, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> I have a remote printer in my network. Yours should work the same way as
> the 802.11b should be a transparent network connection.
>
> In printtool, my remote printer is called HP. It's an HPbusiness inkjet
> 2200. The queue type is LPD. The server is the hostname of the machie it
> is parallel-plugged into. The driver is selected from the dropdown list
> (after I explicitly built an RPM for ghostscript that include support
> for this monster). I use the default driver options.
>
> On the server, I have the same setup except the queue type is local
> printer with the correct port selected.
>
> Then in server:/etc/hosts.lpd I have a list of all the machines allowed
> to use the printer connected to the server. Each print server has this
> file. It can have IP's or fully-qualified domain names or aliases from
> the /etc/hosts file.
>
> On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 10:38, gene wrote:
> > I have an SMC Barricade wireless router at home.  I have my linux laptop
> > (RH7.1) set up with a 802.11b card and that works great.
> >
> > I have and HP all-in-one type printer connected to the printer port on
> > the SMC.  I'm trying to figure out how to setup a printer in linux so
> > that I can print from my laptop to the all-in-one.
> >
> > I have messed around with different settings vi printtool but never
> > gotten anything to work.
> >
> > Any one have a working setup like this willing to share a printer setup?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Gene
> >

> > ---
> > sent to listmaster at ale dot org.
> >
> --
> James P. Kinney III   \Changing the mobile computing world/
> President and COO      \          one Linux user         /
> Local Net Solutions,LLC \           at a time.          /

> <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

Gene Matthews
Matthews Midrange Consulting, Inc.
(678) 923-8327