[ale] i hate csh

Ken Kennedy kkennedy at kenzoid.com
Fri Jan 25 23:39:00 EST 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 10:52:16PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:

> Seriously, I've seen little use for commands referenced by number.
> Searchs by patterns make most sense, something ksh let's you do:
>
> esc /
> 'type partial text of command you're looking for here, the return'
>
> Don't like the result?  additional /s will search backwards through your
> history.

Non-incremental backwards searches with bash (what you've described
above -- type in the text to search for, and then press return) are
performed with M-p (meta p ... that's Esc, then p on most
keyboards).

But I like incremental backwards searches MUCH better; Ctrl-R. Then
start typing...matches are made as the characters are typed, getting
"better" the more you type. If you've typed your match, but you need
to skip deeper into the history, just press Ctrl-R again as necessary
to keep matching further back.

Ken Kennedy	 | http://www.kenzoid.com	| kenzoid at io.com

 PGP signature