[ale] i hate csh

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jan 25 22:52:16 EST 2002

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>>       host% ^pe^ep
>>
>>I don't think bash does that. Speaking of which, I also miss the
>>"r" command in ksh for repeating a command in your history ...
>>

> Bash does do the caret substitution trick. It is also great at repeating
> commands from your history. Just type "!!" to repeat your last command,
> "!234" to repeat command number 234,

Now that's useful, I know I want to run command # 345985739 :)
Seriously, I've seen little use for commands referenced by number.
Searchs by patterns make most sense, something ksh let's you do:

esc /
'type partial text of command you're looking for here, the return'

Don't like the result?  additional /s will search backwards through your
history.

>  or (my favorite) "!string" to repeat
> the last command that started with "string." Say you run a "grep" command
> and then, hours of coding later, you decide you want to run that command
> again. Just type "!gr"

Same thing applies to ksh with the 'r' command r gr'  would mach the
last command that matched that pattern.  ksh will recognized either vi
or emacs editing commands, you set a couple of vars (EDITOR, VISUAL) to
your preference.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html