[ale] Kernel Upgrade question

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Jan 25 18:57:37 EST 2002

To populate the /usr/src/linux directory, you need to install the
kernel-headers rpm to keep thing all RedHat.

I use RedHat. The only thing I don't want rpm'ed is the kernel. It's a
real brutal bugger to rpm-ify a new kernel source. Thay have a bunch of
patches they hand weave in to make fit. Which is why they don't release
a new kernel.rpm for each new kernel.

The best solution is to download the
kernel-brand-spanking-whateveryouwant.tar.bz2 and unwrap it in /usr/src.
It will overwrite an existing linux directory, so you've been warned. If
you have the kernel header from RedHat, I think it includes the
linux.config file. If so, copy it to the new linux directory and make
old-config. take the defaults for all the new stuff then run make
xconfig, make menuconfig.