[ale] Linux DVD

aaron aaron at pd.org
Thu Jan 24 18:26:03 EST 2002

On Thursday 24 January 2002 17:55, you wrote:
[snip]
> Do I need any DVD's other than the only one I currently own, The
> Matrix?

<grin>

According to all the true DVD afficianados I have met, there are no DVD's
besides the the Matrix.

They argue that this disk is the only motion pictuer that has yet been
mastered with the due diligence needed to offset the fact that, in the
2hr DVD format, 80% of your original (video resolution) image information
is discarded. If the hype is accurate, hundreds of hours of super
computer time were used to squeeze every last pixel possible onto the
Matrix DVD.

I can personally add that  the Matrix is the only DVD I have yet seen
that doesn't suffer horribly from the compression artifacts of the
Degraded Video Digitization format. Of course, that's just my subjective
view from two decades of professional experience evaluating video quality
in state of the art production facilities, so take it for what it's worth.

<\grin>