[ale] IP Masquerading Question

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jan 24 15:23:24 EST 2002

WOW! A broadband provider that still supports transparent bridging.

By providing the mac address, they use that to act as the login/password
to establish a connection to their router. NAT in iptables will work
through that connection. So will MASQ in ipchains. The entire header is
rewritten so it comes from the bax. There is a table that corresponds to
outgoing packets that is checked for incomming packets. If it is a reply
then the corr3ect header is used to replace the one sent by the remote
server and the packet is passed to the inside network.

So, no overhead with pppoe and NAT, just NAT overhead which appears to
be rather light with 3 machines behind my network.