[ale] my company and linux

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at dvsg.sciatl.com
Thu Jan 24 15:09:45 EST 2002

Stephen Turner wrote:

> why wont the company i work at use linux? well the IT
> dudes reply;
> 1 with linux you have to enter some information to get
> it to work on the network with windows 2k you just
> install and plug it in.

Bzzzt.  On install, you enter *AN IP ADDRESS* or the DHCP server....sheesh
what have they been reading?

> 2 if anything goes wrong with linux its extreamly hard
> to troubleshoot since its open source, and no tech
> support so once you do get someone who knows what they
> are doing on the phone they still arent sure cause its
> probobly been modified,

Yeah, right.  I was having trouble with mgetty and caller ID, and none of the
suggestions I was getting seemed to help (Thanks for the suggestions, though,
guys!)
so I downloaded the source and looked at it and BINGO, found and solved my
problem

> 3 i would have to go back to school to learn it and
> its steep learning curve presents a problem

Here's you response - "So, because *you* can't learn it fast enough,
you're willing to cost the company thousands of dollars in lost time
due to viruses, Microsoft-forced upgrades, and BSA audits?"

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
    posting from, but not     |

- - - - - - - Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc. - - - - - - -
mso-fareast-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;mso-ansi-language:EN-US;mso-fareast-language: