[ale] IP Masquerading Question

Ty Connell ty.connell at outweb.com
Thu Jan 24 13:53:56 EST 2002

I believe it works like this... I'm sure I'll be corrected if not.

As a packet arrives from your internal network to your linux box, it
determines if it is addressed for this machine (i.e. the linux box), another
internal machine on your subnet (which it ignores), or for some outside
machine(where it will do something with it).  The software will rewrite the
packet placing the mac address of the  gateway nic on the outgoing packet.
It also changes the port number on the packet and makes an internal note to
itself that when a packet comes back destined for that port, it is meant for
the internal machine.

When a packet comes back, it will be addressed to the gateway nic, but will
have a port number for a service that does not exist on that box.  The
ipmasq stuff recognizes this and rewrites the packet, sending it to your
internal network.